Download Brand Assets for your Center today!


Frequently Asked Questions

we provide support and training

DCC Leaf Logo

If a child is struggling in school, it’s hard to know where to turn for answers. See some commonly asked questions about dyslexia, and feel free to contact us for more information.

Is my child dyslexic? What might the symptoms be?

When a child struggles with reading, writing, spelling, and sometimes even speaking, it is possible that the problem is due to dyslexia. The common signs listed below do not necessarily mean that a child displaying them has this learning disability. However, if a child continues to display difficulty over time in the areas listed below, testing for dyslexia should be considered.


•    Understanding that words are made up of sounds
•    Assigning correct sounds to letters
•    Correct pronunciation of sounds and words
•    Spelling
•    Learning basic sequential information (alphabet, numbers)
•    Reading with age-appropriate speed, accuracy and comprehension
•    Learning numbers, facts
•    Answering open-ended questions (math or word problems)
•    Organizing thoughts, time, or a sequence of tasks

Who do I talk to first? How do we get a diagnosis?

Talk to your child’s school first. Read some good books about dyslexia. We have listed books and web sites that we recommend in additional resources on this web site. A formal evaluation by trained professionals must be conducted to diagnose dyslexia. Sometimes a child’s school is able to conduct the necessary testing, and sometimes testing needs to be done by outside specialists (at a hospital or through a clinical psychologist). Organizations such as the International Dyslexia Association (IDA) can help locate a specialist in your area. For additional resources contact Children’s Dyslexia Centers, Inc.

If my child is dyslexic, how do I to enroll him or her in the Children's Dyslexia Center program?

Formal testing must be conducted before contacting the Children’s Dyslexia Center. Once this evaluation is completed, the parent should locate the nearest center, then call the Center Director, who will send an application to be completed and returned with supporting information.